Bone Density Specialist

Ob-Gyne Associates of Lake Forest, Ltd

OB-GYNs & Women's Health located in Lake Forest, IL & Grayslake, IL

After menopause, the drop in your estrogen levels put you at risk for osteoporosis and an increased risk of fractures. At Ob-Gyne Associates of Lake Forest, Ltd., the expert and helpful doctors recommend an in-office bone density test to evaluate your risk of osteoporosis and to devise a long-term bone-health plan.  Call the friendly Ob-Gyne Associates of Lake Forest, Ltd. team to book a bone density test or use the online contact form.

Bone Density Q & A

Why do I need a bone density test?

A bone density test lets you know how strong are. Healthy bones are dense with minerals that keep them resistant to fracture. During the years after menopause, however, drops in the hormone estrogen lead to losses in bone density.

When should I get a bone density test?

If you are in menopause or perimenopausal with risk factors you should consider getting a baseline bone density test.  Your doctor may also recommend a bone density test if you’ve fractured a bone, if you take steroids, or if you’ve undergone cancer treatments. You should get a follow-up bone density test based on your doctor's recommendation.

Are bone density tests safe?

A bone density test at Ob-Gyne Associates of Lake Forest, Ltd. is completely noninvasive and only takes a few minutes. The bone density test uses just a small, safe amount of radiation that’s less than that received for a chest X-ray.

What do bone density tests mean?

The bone density tests determine how much bone loss you’ve experienced when compared to normal, healthy bones of younger women. That measurement is given in terms of a “T” score:

  • T-score of -1 and above — normal and healthy
  • T-score between -1 and -2.5 is — osteopenia (bone density below normal)
  • T-score of -2.5 and below — osteoporosis 

You’ll also get a Z score, which compares your results to women in your age group.

What happens if I have a low T score?

If your bone density test indicates that you have the significant bone density loss of osteopenia or osteoporosis, your doctor helps you minimize or stop subsequent bone loss. 

Recommendations may include increasing the amount of calcium and Vitamins D and K in your diet, taking calcium and Vitamin D supplements, or taking medications that stop or reverse bone loss.

To keep your bones healthy, your doctors also recommend regular movement and exercise. In addition to a daily walk of at least 30 minutes, they may advise you to engage in low-, medium- or high-impact aerobic exercises that stress your legs, including:

  • Running
  • Dancing
  • Rebounding

Book your bone-density test today by calling the Ob-Gyne Associates of Lake Forest, Ltd., at their Lake Forest or Grayslake offices or requesting an appointment online.